Saturday 8 March 2014

Medical Treatment the ‘Dr. Simi’ way


MERIDA, YUCATAN.  We’re all familiar with the ubiquitous ‘Dr. Simi’ pharmacies, (“The same, but cheaper”) of which (according to their website) there are 76 locations in Mérida alone. Many of us have probably visited them to make purchases of aspirin, band aids, or other basic medical supplies. Have you noticed however that many of the locations have an onsite doctor, offering consultations for minor illnesses? If so, have you ever consulted ‘Dr. Simi’?



Early evening last Saturday, I was hit by a rapidly progressing food-borne illness. By 10.30pm, I was in something of a state of agony. What to do? Knowing that my local ‘Dr. Simi’ was open until 11pm, I proceeded to the consulting room. Happily, upon my arrival there were no other patients, and I walked right in to the doctor’s office. I was pleasantly surprised to find a young doctor who spoke excellent English, and who in 10 minutes was able to determine the likely cause of my affliction (an infamous bacteria), and recommend two options for treating it. Having selected my preferred option, a prescription was written. The cost of the consultation? $50 pesos. And that was including a $15 peso weekend surcharge! The chosen medication was an additional $70 pesos at the 24 hour onsite pharmacy.

72 (unpleasant) hours later, I had made a full recovery.

This was my first ‘Dr. Simi’ experience, so I cannot say how typical it was, and your chances of finding a doctor fluent in English in attendance may vary. For an urgent but ‘minor’ issue however, the ‘Dr. Simi’ way, could be the way to go.



If you have had a ‘Dr. Simi’ experience yourself that you would like to share, please tell us about it in the comments field below.  

* * *

And now, to more pleasant topics…

The Mérida Music Festival at Hacienda Dzibikak is only 3 weeks away. Do you have your tickets yet? See TYT report here: http://tinyurl.com/k9ssb2q for more information and where to buy your tickets.

Mark, co-owner of Canada Burger is in town, working with Scott until Tuesday. If you haven’t been to Canada Burger yet, stop by and say hello to them and sample what is rapidly becoming a Mérida institution!

No comments:

Post a Comment